Friday, February 27, 2015

Email Sent to Kentucky Fire Marshall, Richard Peddicord Feb. 1 2008, 2:26 AM



To Richard.Peddicord Richard.Peddicord@ky.gov

Dear Mr. Peddicord, I need some help with some concerns I have at a building located on 10200 Ormsby Park Place, Louisville, KY, 40223.  I was employed by Charter Communications, a tenant of that building from 2004 to 2007.

Throughout the course of those three years, the fire alarms would trip consistently when the outdoor temperature exceeded 90 degrees.  At first they would evacuate us, and of course, the fire department would arrive.  This happened a number of times.  I'd spoken with one of the firefighters there and they indicated there was a "leak" in the sprinkler system.  After a while, we were not permitted to evacuate the building when the fire alarms tripped and the strobes went off.



What puzzles me if the fire alarms tripped, why did the sprinklers did not go off.

 I also understand that a few years ago, the sprinklers did go off on the 4th floor.
 
I now understand there is mold and dust in the HVAC system, and I have a concern about the mercury the employees were exposed to when the sprinklers tripped.  Both are serious health issues that need to be addressed.  Charter simply covered the computers.
 
When the HVAC system kicks in with either heat or AC, people begin to cough.  I am concerned for the health, well-being and safety of the co-workers I have left behind.
 
1.  I would like to request an inspection and test of the sprinkler and alarm system at that site to see if they do in fact trip when exposed to heat. 
 
2.  I would also like you to examine the records from Central Station to see what actions were in fact taken when these alarms tripped, and why we were not evacuated when they did.  Again, the fire department showed  up many times, but many times they did not (I sat by the front window and I also went outside - no one ever came after two or three alarms).
 
3.  I would also like you to speak with remaining employees to verify what I am saying, although many may fear losing their jobs.
In closing, to have fire alarm strobes left on for extended periods of time without evacuating employees jeopardizes their lives in the event of a true emergency.
 
Please contact me if you need additional input.  Also, any input to the correct agencies to follow through with if some of these concerns are not within your jurisdiction.
 
Your time is much appreciated, and an investigation would be appreciated more.  If you do follow up on this, I would like to be informed of the outcome.
 
Respectfully Yours,
 
Vicky Vinch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews